Waikiki Sunset

by Sam Biggs



Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Projects and Progress

I am finally making some progress on some of my larger projects, well, one of them anyway. Back in September I got the permit to build a storage shed in the back yard, on the opposite side of the pool from the house, but up close to the screenroom wall (about six inches way). I’d had the concrete pad poured two and a half years ago when the pool went in. It seemed like from that time forward, every time I could get some progress on it something would come up, either we had to make a trip to the west coast (Pacific coast, not the west coast of Florida), someone would get sick or injured, or we’d have visitors or bad weather.
First Wall Framing
The first wall to be framed needed to be the wall next to the screenroom, and because of the proximity it needed to be framed, sided, nailed off, and painted before it could be raised. Progress has been really slow; back in November my son, Joey, helped me finish nailing off the siding on the first wall, then I got a chest cold, or two or three- finally a friend of mine from Virginia came to visit and although we all had colds, including my friend Larry, with his help two coats of paint were put on that first wall. OK, actually Larry did most of the work, while I coughed.
Then, two weeks ago, just as I felt I was finally kicking this series of coulds, while getting ready for church, I had a sharp, stabbing pain in my lower back. And, I spent most of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday on the living room floor with my lower legs up on the footstool. After Bishopric I asked Bishop Pedraza, Kenny Rider and Mike Kremkau to give me a blessing, and it eased the pain a lot, but I still had to be careful how I stood up, and reaching or bending over needed to be avoided. My back is still tender, and now, knowing that the problem is multiple degenerating discs, arthritis and some bone spurs all in the same place, I have resigned myself to moving carefully. However -

Now, warmer weather and just a slight breeze convinced me that I should be able to raise the first wall, and begin framing the second and subsequent walls.




First Wall Raised

Tomorrow I'll start framing the second 26-foot wall.