Waikiki Sunset

by Sam Biggs



Saturday, February 12, 2011

Memorial for a friend who has gone on

This has been another time for reflection as I prepared my talk for Carol Whiteaker’s memorial service this afternoon.  Carol was one of the Sisters that I was responsible for Home Teaching, from the time that she was re-baptized, about a year-and-a-half ago, until she passed away from cancer on January 7th.  In preparing for my talk earlier this week I found myself guided to speak on the Priesthood; and with Carol’s recent return to the church, how she had understood the power and blessings of the Priesthood and the need for the Priesthood to come into her home.  Her husband is a non-member, who has, in the last several months progressed a long way in his understanding of the church and its part in Carol’s life.  I don’t think he still fully understands the power of the Priesthood to act in the name of God, but as her cancer progressed there were several times that he stayed in the room while my companion and I would lay our hands on Carol's head and pronounce a blessing on her.  Early on there was a healing blessing, according to the will of Heavenly Father.  Later there were some for comfort and to ease the pain that she was going through.  it was hard to see Carol suffer though this, but as a friend it was always easy to visit her.  She always had time for her Home Teachers and friends.  As various Ward members, friends and a few of her family spoke, the picture began to fill out for him and her other family members from other faiths on how everything in the Church relies upon Christ and the Priesthood power, from an opening prayer, blessings that had been given, the blessings of the Sacrament, the spirit of revelation in preparing our talks, and even the closing prayer.  She was an inspiration for many, a good mother and wife, and a friend that I will miss.  I know that she now no longer suffers and I am sure that she is at peace with our Lord, Jesus Christ.